Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Kimmeridge to Swanage

Day 12 Wednesday 11/09/2013

Kimmeridge to Swanage

Miles walked – 13

It was a bit cooler and breezier today with more cloud, but we were still in shorts and T-shirts for much of the day until about 4, when it started drizzling. It then turned progressively wetter, so we put waterproof jackets on. There wee four other people staying at the B&B and we all sat round one table for breakfast so we had a good chat with them and it was getting on for 10 before we finished breakfast. After packing up quickly, we picked up the sandwiches we’d ordered the previous night from the café, and were on our way by about 10.30. A couple staying in the B&B said they’d heard the first part of the coastal path was shut, and the B&B owner confirmed this and pointed out an alternative route. 

 We set off uphill to follow this and soon picked up a signposted diversion, although it wasn’t in the guidebooks or on the map. This diversion took us up onto low hills overlooking the sea and was easy walking with good views, and there were quite a few people walking round here. Eventually we dropped down to a small village, Kingston, and from there we headed downhill and picked up the main coastal path again. We had to climb up again to get on top of the cliffs.

We found a small remembrance garden with a table and chairs so we had our lunch there, then carried on along the cliff tops towards a headland. Unfortunately there was then a steep drop down numerous stairs, after which we went immediately back up stairs on the other side. I counted 218 steps, so that tired us out a bit. We had a look in the look out post on the headland.

After that it was easy undulating walking along the cliff tops, passing above Dancing Ledge, and on to Durlston. Unfortunately by now it had started raining and it got progressively wetter.

We rounder Durlston Head and started the descent to Swanage, initially though woods and then along roads. By now it was gone 6 and we were quite tired and wet. We found a Co-op to buy breakfast things then headed for the YHA hostel, arriving about 6.45. There was a large school group in the hostel, but we were on the top floor away from them. After a quick shower we headed down the road to the nearest pub, which the hostel had recommended. We had good fish and chips there and a few beers, before heading back up the hill in the rain to the hostel.          

Pub – The White Swan

Beer – Piss    


No comments:

Post a Comment